22.2 C
New York
September 22, 2021
Sports | Entertainment | World News

Igboho’s Trial: Arise TV Crew Attacked In Benin Republic, Camera Goes Missing


…Court Orders transfer Of Igboho To Another Detention Facility Amid Reports Of Maltreatment

A three-man crew of Arise Television was assigned to cover the trial of Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Igboho in the Benin Republic escaped being lynched as they were attacked by unknown persons on Monday evening.

The crew, consisting, senior correspondent, Tokunbo Oyetunji, the cameraman, Sam Adeyemi as well as the driver Yusuf, was attacked at the venue of the trial.

A senior editor of the TV station confirmed the incident, saying that the trio was beaten by persons suspected to be supporters of Igboho before they managed to escape without any serious harm.

However, the camera which the crew was using to film was stolen in the process.

As at press time, it was not clear why the attackers singled out Arise TV for harm, but Thepledge learnt that it took sheer bravery of the driver to rescue the crew.

Meanwhile, the Cour D’Appel De Cotonou has ordered that Igboho be transferred to another detention facility.

This is after the activist’s lawyers complained that his fundamental human rights were being tampered with.

Recall that Igboho had leg chain and hand-cuff on him.

According to Ibrahim Salami, one of the Cotonou, Benin Republic-based lawyers of Sunday Igboho, the activist needed support to eat and use the toilet.

Before the new order, Igboho was detained at Brigade Criminelle facility.

The activist has now been moved to Cotonou Civil Prison detention facility, according to reports.

Also, the Cour De’Appel De Cotonou has returned Igboho to police custody pending further investigation.

The activist was returned to cell after a 13-hour hearing, which ended around 11:20 pm on Monday.

The case was heard behind closed doors as the court limited attendance to lawyers, Igboho’s wife, Ropo, and a few others.

Battle rages over Igboho’s bail, Benin court in marathon session Journalists and Igboho’s supporters who thronged the court in the large numbers were denied access.

Details of the judgment are sketchy as of the time of filing this report.

Recall that police dispersed the supporters and journalists from the premises of the Cour De’appel De Cotonou.

But some of the supporters reconverged at Marina Roundabout some minutes after, awaiting judgement.

Igboho and his wife were arrested on Monday, July 19, 2021, by the International Criminal Police Organisation at the Cadjèhoun Airport in Cotonou, Republic of Benin on their way to Germany

When they were arraigned last Thursday, the Beninese court adjourned the case till Monday (today) after Igboho’s five lawyers failed to convince the prosecutor that he had no case to answer.

The Beninese authorities released Ropo – the agitator’s wife, while the 48-year-old activist was returned to police custody.

The lawyers had after Thursday’s hearing said that prosecutors claimed Igboho was on a watchlist for alleged trafficking in arms, inciting violence that could result in social disturbance and causing disunity in Nigeria.

Related posts

Edo: Ize-Iyamu Heads To Court To Challenge Obaseki’s Victory


Lagos Assembly Passes VAT, Open Grazing Bills Into Law


Change Or Get Ready To Be Frustrated -Wike Warns Akpabio


Leave a Comment